Wednesday, December 30, 2020

SearchResearch Extra: Tab to search - a handy pro shortcut

 

Happy end of 2020!  


I'm sure 2020 will be the topic of endless PhD theses in the future, but at the moment, I'm just as happy to move on in to a brighter future.

But I wanted to leave you with a little gift--a pro tip that I use all the time, but I realized the other day that not everyone knows about!  To fix this gap in world knowledge, I put together a little 1MM (1-Minute Morceaux video) for you on how to use tab-to-search.  This search trick saves me a lot of time, and just might save you a few extra milliseconds.  

(The key idea is that you can often use the sites' own search utility (if they have one!) to search their site in the way that THEY think is best.  This isn't the same as the SITE: search you all know and love, but it uses the site's own search too.)  

Link to the 1MM video:  Tab to Search 

Enjoy. 

And search on! 




10 comments:

  1. Thanks, Dr. Russell!

    And Happy end of 2020! A brighter future is something all of us want.

    I'm also looking forward to see how the world will receive 2021. People will gather in small groups? Fireworks? No celebration? I think the countries with better situation will have more or some. Others just a normal regular day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just to wish you, Dr. Russell, and everyone in SRS Blog a fantastic, healthy, peaceful 2021.

      Looking forward for the first Challenge. And Happy Anniversary to the Blog

      Delete
    2. Remmij - it doesn't work on NASA because they haven't published the search API to Google. They *could* do that, they just haven't. I don't know why not... :-(

      Delete
  2. Could not get this to work until I hit New Scientist. Bingo. Just as advertised. Cute trick. Stay safe everyone. jon tU

    ReplyDelete
  3. another kinda Google trick… (from here — )
    13. When googling a recipe, precede it with ‘best’. You’ll find better recipes.

    I’ve been doing this over the past year with mixed results. Google has become a terrible way to find good recipes, even with this trick. My version of this is googling “kenji {name of dish}” — works great.


    an example ‚ looked for lemon pie… looks cool
    for Dr. Russell
    Kenji the fluffy dog
    any other prefixes? like 'define' or 'meaning of'…?

    ReplyDelete